OPPI – the Outdoor Pikes Peak Initiative
MedWheel is part of the leadership team for OPPI, representing mountain bikers and other trail users in an an important planning process driven by the state. The planning process is being managed by our partners at the Pikes Peak Outdoor Recreation Alliance, PPORA. This plan will balance recreation opportunities with the conservation needs of our region. We need your voice to ensure the recreation needs of our community are captured in this plan, which will impact future trail development and recreation opportunities across the Pikes Peak region. The first phase of this initiative took a year and a half, during which MedWheel shared suggestions about trail access. Now it’s time to get a broad community input.
Please join in person or online Jan 23-28 to have your say about the future of recreation in our region.
Some talking points we’re sharing as part of the process:
- More strategic trail connections and trail access points help to spread users out and reduce negative impacts on natural resources
- Trails can be an effective conservation tool – if built correctly for their intended use they encourage users to travel in designated areas
- Trail planning and construction should be done in coordination with fire mitigation
- Trails drive a sustainable and diversified economy
- Land managers in our region need resources and new management structures to support sustainable recreation in balance with conservation
Please register to attend one of the community listening sessions and have your say. The weekday sessions are in person 5-630pm, and on zoom 7-8pm.
Monday Jan 23 2023 Cheyenne Mtn Jr. High School 1200 W Cheyenne Rd, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Tuesday Jan 24 2023 Cripple Creek Heritage Center 9283 South Highway 67, Cripple Creek, CO 80813
Weds Jan 25 2023 Ute Pass Cultural Center 210 E. Midland Ave., Woodland Park, CO 80863
Thurs Jan 26 2023 Pathfinder Park, Florence, 6655 CO-115, Florence, CO 81226
Friday Jan 27 2023 Pikes Peak State College Centennial Atrium 5675 South Academy Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Sat Jan 28 2023 Library 21C In Person: 10-11:30 AM @ 1175 Chapel Hills Dr., Colorado Springs, CO 80920 Virtual: 12:00-1:00 PM via zoom
Check back for more information or email email@example.com with your questions about OPPI