New trail under construction now at Forest Lakes #7 near Monument.
An exciting new trail opportunity was identified in early 2022, located at the western end of Baptist Road, south of Monument, in the Forest Lakes #7 housing development. FL7 is a new development currently under construction by our friends at Classic Homes.
The map above shows the approximate location. Why is this spot good for a new trail?
- Great scenery, tucked into the foothills above Bristlecone lake, with a remote feeling close to the town of Monument.
- The neighborhood is connected to the Santa Fe Trail by a new El Paso County regional trail – easy bike access.
- Adjacent to the Pike National Forest – in future, pending USFS planning processes, we anticipate a connection to the existing trail network.
- Supportive land owner that understands the value of this new trail for residents and visitors.
- Interesting, varied terrain with ~200′ of climbing on each of 2 legs of the trail.
- Plenty of cool rock features to include in the trail, for example:
- Availability of dirt to use for water control and dynamic riding features
Construction of the trail is underway now – the corridor has been cleared and we are preparing for tread construction that will be done with a combination of machine work and handbuilding. We plan to open the trail in the spring of 2023, depending on weather and scheduling of Trail Love work days.
Our partners in this project include Classic Homes, Forest Lakes Metro District, Trails End Taproom, the Free Radicals, SRAM, and employees from Keysight Technologies who have been part of it since the beginning. We are also grateful to El Paso County Parks and Planning staff for their suggestions around the connection to the regional trail.
The project will provide just over 1 mile of new singletrack, multi-use and multi-direction. Where it’s possible due to sight lines, there will be optional dynamic features that appeal to advanced riders.